Saturday, July 5, 2008

Independance Day Party

Yesterday my parents had their care group over for a 4th of July cookout. It was a lot of fun. There was lots of eating and visiting. The kids even had a water balloon fight! I didn't join in in the fight, but I still tried to sneak in a few water balloons on the kids. They did, however, manage to sneak a few on me as well :)



Later in the afternoon, we cleaned up, most of the people left, and my family and a few other people left to go see fireworks. We went to the same spot where we have been going for the past few years. It is an area on the Elizabeth river and people come and sit near the water, in the median, and on the other side of the river. We like to get there early enough to get this nice big spot right on the water (we have gotten it every time we have gone). We arrived and spent the time relaxing, eating snacks, giving out glow-sticks for the kids, and waiting for it to get dark. At this place they eventually close off the road to cars and my brothers and sisters like to ride scooters and skateboards. Then we began to see lightning. It got worse so we decided to leave; we had a stop to make on the way back and by the time we got home it was pouring! I am glad we didn't have to walk back to the van in that! We found out today that the fireworks had been canceled because of the bad weather. Despite not seeing fireworks, I still had a wonderful 4th of July.

No comments: