Friday, September 14, 2012

Trusting For Real

In the Bible, we are commanded to trust in God. "Trust in the Lord will all of your heart, lean not on your own understanding" Proverbs 3:5-6. While it is often fairly easy to make our brains and mouths say the words "I trust You", it is even more often difficult to make our hearts and feelings trusting. I know for me I can often, in a way, be thinking, "Yes God, I trust that your way is best, but..." I still really want my way, or I want answers now rather than waiting until God says it is time to show me the answer.

For example, sometimes I wonder what I should do after I finish school, and yes that can grow worrisome to me at times. By no means is it wrong to think, pray, and even plan now, nor is it impossible that God will give me an answer before I finish school. However, I need to trust in Him, and not worry that I do not have the answer NOW. I need to trust that by the time I need it, I will have His answer. I like Elizabeth Elliot's quote related to this aspect of trusting God. She says, "The heart set to do the Father's will need never fear defeat. His promises of guidance may be fully counted upon. Does it make sense to believe that the Shepherd would care less about getting His sheep where He wants them to go than they care about getting there?." The rest of the verse that I began in the first paragraph says, "in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight" (or "direct your paths").

Another aspect of trusting God that He is working on in me is in trusting that His will for what He gives me in life is perfect. His timing if He chooses to give me things is perfect. If I do not have what I want now, or even if I never get it, it truly is because it is better this way. God's way is perfect.

What about you? What do you struggle with most when it comes to trusting God, and how do you fight those challenges? How has God encouraged you in those areas?


No comments: